Sunday, June 17, 2012

What Happened to Bill?

Do you remember Bill Nye the Science Guy from those cheesy videos we all seemed to watch in grade school? At that time I wasn't very interested in Nye's scientific background. Recently however, I was thinking about the Science in Seconds' approach to informing people about science through intriguing online videos, and it made me wonder what we had before Science in Seconds. I came to the conclusion that we had Bill Nye the Science Guy on VHS tape or television as our intriguing guide to the world of science.

 This got me questioning who is Bill Nye and what is his scientific background. I did a bit of research and found that Bill Nye is a very distinguished scientist with several honorary degrees. Nye has a "Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering" from Cornell University, as well as honorary degrees from Johns Hopkins University, Goucher College, and Rensselaer Polytechnic.

Also, I discovered that Bill Nye the Science Guy was one of Nye's earliest works of media in which he was not only the host but also the writer and producer of the series which ran from 1992-1998. From the years of 1986 to 2009 Bill Nye has been host, and/or writer, and/or producer for 8 different television series with a focus on children's channel science series.

Before the television series, Nye worked as a licensed Mechanical Engineer at Boeing in Seattle, Washington.

I can't forget to mention that in his spare time, Nye wrote 5 children's books all about science.

It's funny to think that when I watched Bill Nye the Science Guy all I saw was a goofy, comical man who loved science. I have to admit that this research is very enlightening for me because I can now see that Bill Nye was being goofy so that children would remember the science lesson at hand and so that they could find science just as fascinating as he does.

Just in case you have forgotten Bill Nye the Science Guy, have a look at these videos as a refresher of his humor and love of science in these "Consider the Following Videos."

1 comment:

  1. I loved Bill Nye!! I was also a big fan of Beakman's World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beakman's_World. It's awesome to hear that he was involved in making science shows for children for so long.

    ReplyDelete